Sorry that Foodie Friday is coming to you on a Saturday, but as I sat in front of the computer last night cursing the internet gods for cutting me off, I decided that 30 minutes of attempt and Fails was enough.
Luckily, they are being a lot more forgiving today and I am able to serve up to you this delicious chowder recipe. Every, and I mean EVERY friday on board this vessel is Clam Chowder friday, and the boys never get tired of this recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! And, I’ve just spent about 15 minutes trying to upload a photo for you, but unfortunately have had no luck.. that’s boat life for you! Please use your imagination, and enjoy the soup!
Best Clam Chowder
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add more clam juice to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Allow Rue to bubble and cook down a little bit, about to a Blonde…You don’t want the flour taste to come through. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- For extra flavor, add Crumbled bacon, chives and Corn TT. Enjoy!