Is it just me or does every epic New Year’s celebration end in a headache and a Year long TO DO list? I wore glittery hats, blew on noise makers, and drank copious amounts of bubbly…What a great end to a fantastic year! So, the party is over, the throbbing has cemented to my brain like white and rice, and the Lakers are on the tube…what now? I’ve heard some people talk about New Year’s resolutions, and I’m not usually one to make or take them seriously…but I have recently accomplished a goal I set in early December… And it feels good. I officially wrote on this blog everyday for the past 25 days, and it as shocking to me as everyone else. I didn’t always write a ton, and I didn’t always say things that people wanted to read…But I got online, and I wrote something every day.
This year I’m going to say yes to making goals and following them through. I joined a writing group on twitter/through this blog called ROW80, which entails making and attempting to stick to writing goals for the next 80 days. These goals are supposed to be obtainable and measurable. They are also supposed to be made with the realization that we all have lives and sometimes we are going to just have to TRY and obtain our goals.. I like that.
But…This year is going to be 365 days, and if I don’t have some goals set, and plan out some steps which will help me obtain them…I just might not get them done. SO…
Save 7500 dollars in my savings account.
-I don’t mean end up with 7500 in my account by the end of the year…I mean put 7500 in an account I don’t touch, with the intent of letting that savings travel over to 2013 and hopefully build from there. Ways I will attain this goal:
- Take 625 dollars out of my paycheck each month and place it in my savings account.
- Learn to budget…Yea…I have no real skills in this department
- Try to spend less on trivial things…I find that my credit card gets pretty high without any real memory of where or why I spent the money.. So I suppose this really means try to carry more cash instead of using my plastic all the time… sad day.
Lose 30 lbs.
-This doesn’t mean lose 40, gain 15, lose 10, gain 20,lose 10….I want to lose 30 lbs and keep it off consistently.
- Start running on the treadmill at least twice a week, go for three
- Take part in open gym volleyball on Tuesdays and Thursdays..This wont be that hard…Volleyball=awesome.
- Clear out all the unhealthy food in the house and fill my fridge with healthy veggies, fruits, and whole grain options.
- I work half of the year…so on my hitch I will try to eat healthy and get in at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Write a novel.
-I was going to be more specific, but I think that I just want to complete one… I don’t want to say it has to be any one novel, it will be enough to just finish something.
- Set writing goals for ROW80 and follow through with them; keeping people updated in order to get support and motivation.
- Find a story that speaks to me and focus on it.
- Continue to talk to my new writing friends on twitter and this blog
- Write at least 500 words a day, even if they aren’t good or enjoyable to read…just write them.
Ok, so those are my three goals! I wanted to make them bigger so that I have something to strive towards. I understand that I might not lose 30 lbs, save 7500 dollars, or write a book, but by working at them,using these steps, I believe that I have a very real chance of reaching my goals!
Good luck to me, and good luck to you with all of your New Year’s resolutions!
Happy times in 2013!